The next FAA data cycle begins this Thursday, November 9, 2017. We try to release ChartData the Friday before the new cycle starts. However, this cycle was one business day late because we’re very excited to announce that we’ve just added approach plates, airport diagrams, SIDs, STARs, etc. for Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Belize! You may remember that we also recently added this same data for the Bahamas. All of it for no additional cost.
A few notes about the new data:
- Users of the KSN 770, Aspen, Dynon, AFS, GRT, AV8OR ACE, and EKP Mark V can get the new plates automatically as part of the usual download once they install a new version of the ChartData Manager (v 5.4.0.0540). The ChartData Manager normally updates itself automatically so this will be transparent to most users. If you have a problem, you can download and install the new DM from https://chartdata.seattleavionics.com/Apps/DataManagerSetup.exe
- FlyQ EFB users can use the ChartData Manager portion of FlyQ EFB (the “down arrow” icon at the top of the screen) to download the Mexican diagrams and plates. As FlyQ EFB version 2.5 has no knowledge of the Central American countries, data for these countries cannot be pre-downloaded before flight. However, FlyQ EFB can download the plates on demand by entering the ident for the airports you need in the Search box at the top of app then manually selecting plates/diagram. Once downloaded in this manner, these plates/diagrams can be used while flying (that is, without an Internet connection) but it’s a bit tedious to download them. Also, due to a typo bug in EFB 2.5, even this method does not work for Honduras. In the next FlyQ EFB release, coming very soon, these issues will be resolved.
- This release added new plates and diagrams only. Our US IFR Low and High charts (maps) already cover Mexico and most of Central America but our Sectional (VFR) map coverage is still limited to approximately the southernmost part of Texas. We’re working on expanding this area now.
European and Australian data will be available shortly.
Also, if you’re looking for an ADS-B solution, be sure to take a look at our new $249 Merlin ADS-B receiver. Dual channel, WAAS GPS, AHRS (yes!), and a battery. Works with almost all iPad / Android apps.
Also, read this terrific post from Keith R if you use our ChartData Manager application for Windows to update your data. It explains how to automatically download data and even copy data to a card or USB memory stick without any clicks! No need to sit there and wait for data to download or copy.
If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to update your ChartData before you fly.
- In FlyQ EFB: Tap the ChartData Manager icon (the “down arrow” icon), review which states you have selected, then tap Update Now.
- In FlyQ Pocket: Select the Downloads tab on the bottom of the screen and tap Update Now.
- In FlyQ Online: Nothing to download. Just go to https://flyq.seattleavionics.com and the new data is automatically used when the new cycle begins on Thursday (but not before).
- For apps and devices that use our Data Manager, run the ChartData Manager (or select Settings from the little icon at the lower right corner of your Windows screen) and tap Update Now.
- In Voyager, select Update Data from the Tools menu then choose the All Monthly ChartData item.
If you need to renew your subscription, click the appropriate link below:
Note that new FlyQ Online (our Web-based flight planner) ChartData is enabled automatically on the day the new cycle begins (this Thursday) so what you see is always the current, legal data. Unlike data for our apps and devices, we do not release FlyQ Online ChartData ahead of time since there is nothing to download.