As you may have heard, Seattle Avionics became part of a larger, global aviation company in late 2020. That gives us access to new technologies, a worldwide perspective, and a larger development organization.
FlyQ 6.0, with Global Digital Charts and Weather plus Audible Airspace Alerts, is the first release that leverages these strengths. Many more exciting new features are in the works. Watch the What’s New video.
See the bottom of this email to learn how to upgrade to FlyQ 6.0.
Global Digital Charts
The all-new Global Digital Map lets you see airports, navaids, airspace, airways, and waypoints around the world. Unlike a standard Sectional chart, the Digital chart is dynamically generated so offers a number of advantages:
1. Text remains readable no matter how the map is rotated (Track Up mode, for example).
2. The level of detail varies with the zoom level so the map shows you more detail as you zoom in and declutters as you move out.
3. You can select exactly which types of objects you want to see – airports, navaids, waypoints, or airways.
4. Use the new Digital layer over another base layer (Roads, for example) or standalone with a simplified, easy to read new background map.
Watch the video / Read the revised Pilot’s Guide (page 35)
Audible Airspace Alerts
FlyQ 6.0 uses your current altitude and course to warn when you’re about to enter (or are already in) a controlled airspace.
FlyQ alerts you with a text pop-up, an audible (spoken) warning, and the airspace highlighted on the map.
Dismiss text pop-ups by tapping the X in the corner of the pop-up. Use the Alerts section in Settings to control which types of warnings you prefer to receive.
Watch the video
FlyQ 6.0 expands on the major weather improvements we made for FlyQ 4.5 by adding weather from all around the world. Most weather available in the US is now also available globally including Radar, METARs/TAFs, Icing, Turbulence, Winds Aloft and more.
Watch the video
FlyQ 6.0 includes many other improvements and fixes:
- Full flight plan synchronization between all your iPads and iPhones as well as FlyQ Online (web) on your PC or Mac.
- Enter multiple Tail number(s) to ignore in Settings.
- Much faster map performance.
- Other fixes and improvements.
How to Get FlyQ 6.0
If you already have FlyQ EFB on your iPad/iPhone:
1. Go to the App Store on your device.
2. In the upper right corner of the screen, tap your picture (probably with a red number).
3. Scroll down the screen and look for the Available Updates or Upcoming Automatic Updates section.
4. Find FlyQ EFB.
5. If you see Open, it’s already downloaded, simply tap Open to fire it up.
6. If you see Update, tap to download, then tap Open when it appears.
If it’s not on your iPad or iPhone:
This is a great time to use it for 30 days at no charge as we cleared all records of previous trials so you can try it again.
1. If you’re reading this on an iPad or iPhone, just click here to download. Otherwise…
2. Go to the App Store on your iPad or iPhone.
3. Select the Search tab.
4. Type FlyQ EFB in the search field at the top of the screen.
5. Tap FlyQ EFB when it appears as you type.
6. Tap Get or Download.
FlyQ EFB 6.0 requires iOS 11 or later.