Seattle Avionics has approved the use of Apple iOS version 11.4.1 with current shipping version of FlyQ EFB for iPad/iPhone, FlyQ InSight for iPhone/iPad, and SmartPlates & Charts for iPhone/iPad.
How to find the version number for FlyQ EFB
- Open FlyQ EFB app
- Go to the Settings screen (gear icon)
- The version number is located at the top right. Example: v3.2.0
How to find the version number for Apple iOS
- Open the Settings app for iPad/iPhone
- Go to General
- Go to About
- The iOS version number is under ‘Version’. Example: 11.2.1 (15C153)
How to update a Seattle Avionics app
- Open the App Store app
- Go to the Updates screen (bottom right)
- Look for the app icon and tap on Update
How to update Apple iOS
- Open the Settings app
- Go to General
- Go to Software Update
- Tap on Download and Install
*Please note that beta (aka “test”) versions of Apple iOS are not finished, have not been fully tested, and contains bugs. Seattle Avionics does not support beta versions of Apple iOS for use with any of its apps.
The next FAA data cycle begins next Thursday, August 16, 2018. We try to release ChartData the Friday before the new cycle starts. As that’s today, the new data is now ready for download. However, be sure not to fly with this data until August 16.
Important notes for FlyQ EFB user: Please do not download this new data if you plan to fly before next Thursday as the app does not currently (hint hint) have any concept of “current” versus “next” data cycle. However, FlyQ EFB downloads TFRs, fuel prices, and weather automatically so rest assured that this data will always be current even without doing a manual update
Special Notice About WACs: The FAA began decommissioning the old WACs (World Aeronautical Charts) a few years ago. We thought they remained a useful reference so kept them as part of our Sectional map tiles (along with the TACs that are still there) but colored the WAC-only regions yellow to indicate warning. However, all good things must come to an end and we’ve decided it is time to removed this old, expired data. Since the WAC tiles only appeared in places not covered by Sectional or TAC tiles, you should only notice differences offshore, in parts of Southern Canada, Mexico, and along the corridor from Seattle to Alaska. The IFR Low and High charts still cover these areas so it’s suggested that pilots who need these areas refer to IFR Low charts. For some apps, including FlyQ EFB, you may still see map coverage for these WAC-only areas if the individual tiles were previously downloaded to your device. For apps and devices that do not use individual tiles (such as Dynon), the change should be immediate. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
European and Australian data will be available shortly.
If you’re using another data provider, check with them about availability.
Also, read this terrific post from Keith R if you use our ChartData Manager application for Windows to update your data. It explains how to automatically download data and even copy data to a card or USB memory stick without any clicks! No need to sit there and wait for data to download or copy.
If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to update your ChartData before you fly.
- In FlyQ EFB: Tap the ChartData Manager icon (the “down arrow” icon), review which states you have selected, then tap Update Now.
- In FlyQ InSight or FlyQ Pocket: Select the Downloads tab on the bottom of the screen and tap Update Now.
- In FlyQ Online: Nothing to download. Just go to https://flyq.seattleavionics.com and the new data is automatically used when the new cycle begins on Thursday (but not before).
- For apps and devices that use our Data Manager, run the ChartData Manager (or select Settings from the little icon at the lower right corner of your Windows screen) and tap Update Now.
- In Voyager, select Update Data from the Tools menu then choose the All Monthly ChartData item.
If you need to renew your subscription, click the appropriate link below:
Note that FlyQ Online (our Web-based flight planner) ChartData is enabled automatically on the day the new cycle begins (next Thursday) so what you see is always the current, legal data. Unlike data for our apps and devices, we do not release FlyQ Online ChartData ahead of time since there is nothing to download.