Although it was just 3 weeks ago that we released FlyQ EFB 3.2.1 with our exclusive Buddy List, we’re very pleased to announced that version 3.3 is now available.
V 3.2.1 was mostly about fixing a number of long standing issues in the app. V 3.3 is mostly about substantially improving performance and massively increasing battery life (by at least 2x over previous releases!). You’ll see this difference immediately and notice that your iPad or iPhone is not getting hot, as it once did.
But I said “mostly”….
V 3.3 also adds one of the most frequently requested features: animated radar. And it’s lovely! Take a look at a video (no audio) that we made during development. To enable it, just select Radar (Anim) from the Layers list (tap the “stack of paper” icon on the map).
We also fixed some bugs that were in 3.2.1, most notably a startup crash that some of you saw, especially when using iOS 12. We also improved on the ADS-B target display we added in 3.2.1 by adding a switch to hide stationary targets (generally ground traffic) and adding an option in Settings to disable the new “tap to see ADS-B target details” if you don’t find the feature useful.
Important note about iOS 12: iOS 12 and 12.0.1 have a bug in one of the core Apple systems that causes a substantial memory leak. For FlyQ EFB, this is most obvious when downloading lots of states in the ChartData Manager portion of the app. Depending on how old your iPad/iPhone is, you may be able to download between 20% and 80% of country before the leak becomes bad enough to kill the app. In the iOS 12.1 beta that we’ve been testing, Apple has fixed or dramatically reduced the bug. We don’t have inside knowledge but the rumor mill suggest that iOS 12.1 will be released in a week or two. We’ll keep you posted.
To upgrade to version 3.3 from an existing iPad or iPhone installation:
Go to the App Store icon on your iPad or iPhone and select the Updates tab. Click the Update button next to FlyQ EFB. Note: If your device is set to automatically update apps, you may see an Open button rather than Update because the new version has already been installed.
Note: If you don’t see version 3.3 available, please kill and restart the App Store or turn your device off then back on.
To download version 3.3 to a new iPad or iPhone:
Go to the App Store icon on your iPhone or iPad, select the Search tab, enter FlyQ EFB.
What’s New in 3.3
- ADDED: Substantially improved performance
- ADDED: Animated radar layer (Internet radar only)
- ADDED: 2x better battery life and lower heat
- ADDED: Switch to hide stationary (usually ground-based) ADS-B targets
- ADDED: Switch to disable map tap to display detailed ADS-B target info
- CHANGED: ADS-B target details says “Altitude” when it’s really Pressure Altitude
- FIXED: Startup crash for some users
- FIXED: iPhone: Redundant items in Settings
- FIXED: ChartData Manager does not download new Setionals and IFR Low/High charts until the new cycle starts
- FIXED: Turning Surface Winds on or off for a given airport does not stick for subsequent airports
- FIXED: The ADS-B details popup does not exclude the target specified in “Tail number to ignore”
- FIXED: ADS-B Connect/Disconnect banners still have too little contrast against some backgrounds
- KNOWN ISSUE: Slow memory leak in the ChartData Manager when using iOS 12.0 and 12.0.1. Note: This is an Apple bug that they appear to have fixed for iOS 12.1.